We are currently accepting submissions for the 2024 South Asia Book Award.
In recent years, an increasing number of high-quality children’s and young adult books have been published that portray cultures, histories, and contemporary issues in South Asia or dealing with South Asians living abroad. To encourage and commend authors and publishers who produce such books, and to provide librarians and teachers with recommendations for educational use, the South Asia National Outreach Consortium (SANOC) will offer a yearly book award to call attention to outstanding works on South Asia.
- Eligible works for the 2024 award must have been published during the preceding year (January 1 – December 31, 2023).
- Books reprinted for sale in the U.S. will be considered under the U.S. copyright date.
- The committee will review works originally written in English, geared for children ages 4 to 18.
- The primary focus of the text should be related to South Asian cultures (either historical or contemporary). The book should accurately and skillfully portray South Asia, the experience of individuals living in South Asia, or of South Asians living in other parts of the world. The countries and islands that make up South Asia are: Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the region of Tibet.
- In determining the award, books will be judged for: 1) literary quality 2) cultural authenticity and 3) potential for classroom use.
- Consideration will be given to the ease with which teachers and librarians in the United States would be able to order multiple copies.
- The jury will name award, honor, and highly commended titles—the number of works recognized, and in what age range, will vary based on the overall submissions for that calendar year.
- PDF submissions will not be considered; all books must be printed and mailed to every member of the award committee.
- Sequels are not eligible for the award.
To nominate a title, the book’s author or publisher is invited to submit review copies to the award committee by the submission deadline on January 31, 2024. Please fill out this form to receive a list of the committee members’ mailing addresses. Review copies will not be returned. You can also find these instructions and submission form on our website.