Submissions Are Closed for the 2023 South Asia Book Award
In recent years, an increasing number of high-quality children’s and young adult books have been published that portray cultures, histories, and contemporary issues in South Asia or dealing with South Asians living abroad. To encourage and commend authors and publishers who produce such books, and to provide librarians and teachers with recommendations for educational use, the South Asia National Outreach Consortium (SANOC) will offer a yearly book award to call attention to outstanding works on South Asia.
- Eligible works for the current award year must have been published during the preceding year (e.g., 2022 award book must have been published between January 1 – December 31, 2021).
- Books reprinted for sale in the U.S. will be considered under the U.S. copyright date.
- The committee will review works originally written in English, geared for children ages 4 to 18.
- The primary focus of the text should be related to South Asian cultures (either historical or contemporary). The book should accurately and skillfully portray South Asia, the experience of individuals living in South Asia, or of South Asians living in other parts of the world. The countries and islands that make up South Asia are: Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the region of Tibet.
- In determining the award, books will be judged for: 1) literary quality 2) cultural authenticity and 3) potential for classroom use.
- Consideration will be given to the ease with which teachers and librarians in the United States would be able to order multiple copies.
- The jury will name award, honor and highly commended titles—however the number of works recognized, and in what age range, will vary based on the overall submissions for that calendar year.
To nominate a title, authors and/or publishers are invited to submit review copies to the award committee. Submission deadline is January 31, 2022. Please send one copy of the nominated book to each member of the South Asia Book Award Committee, listed below. Review copies will not be returned.
|Emera Bridger Wilson
South Asia Center
346 Eggers Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
119 Montrose Avenue
Iowa City, Iowa 52245
548 Schooner Way
Dover, DE 19901
6548 Elmer Hill Road
Rome, NY 13440
3581 Cabaret Trail
Okemos, MI 48864
|Nidhi Vij Mali
3397 Snow Park Lane West
Memphis, TN 38119
111 French Creek Drive
Phoenixville, PA 19460
5900 Lochinvars Trail
Marshall, Wisconsin 53559
1126 Pickard St.
Iowa City, IA 52240
This year’s SABA Award winner, honor, and highly commended books will be announced in June.