Submissions Are Closed for the 2023 South Asia Book Award. Information on the 2024 award cycle will be updated here soon.
In recent years, an increasing number of high-quality children’s and young adult books have been published that portray cultures, histories, and contemporary issues in South Asia or dealing with South Asians living abroad. To encourage and commend authors and publishers who produce such books, and to provide librarians and teachers with recommendations for educational use, the South Asia National Outreach Consortium (SANOC) will offer a yearly book award to call attention to outstanding works on South Asia.
- Eligible works for the current award year must have been published during the preceding year (e.g., 2022 award book must have been published between January 1 – December 31, 2021).
- Books reprinted for sale in the U.S. will be considered under the U.S. copyright date.
- The committee will review works originally written in English, geared for children ages 4 to 18.
- The primary focus of the text should be related to South Asian cultures (either historical or contemporary). The book should accurately and skillfully portray South Asia, the experience of individuals living in South Asia, or of South Asians living in other parts of the world. The countries and islands that make up South Asia are: Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maldives, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the region of Tibet.
- In determining the award, books will be judged for: 1) literary quality 2) cultural authenticity and 3) potential for classroom use.
- Consideration will be given to the ease with which teachers and librarians in the United States would be able to order multiple copies.
- The jury will name award, honor and highly commended titles—however the number of works recognized, and in what age range, will vary based on the overall submissions for that calendar year.
To nominate a title, authors and/or publishers are invited to submit review copies to the award committee. Submission deadline is January 31, 2023. Please stay tuned as we update the guidelines and instructions for sending review copies in September 2023.
This year’s SABA Award winner, honor, and highly commended books will be announced in September.